_Continuous News

Mar 20, 2011 4:51 PM by Andrea Babin

Syrians Fire on Thousands of Protesters, Killing 1

DAMASCUS, Syria (AP) - Police fired live ammunition and tear gas
Sunday at thousands of Syrians protesting in a tense southern city
for a third consecutive day, killing one person and signaling that
unrest in yet another Arab country is taking root, activists said.
Enraged protesters set fire to several local government
buildings, according to state media and a witness.
The violence in Daraa, a city of about 300,000 near the border
with Jordan, was fast becoming a major challenge for President
Bashar Assad, who tried to contain the situation by freeing
detainees and promising to fire officials responsible for the
Protesters in Syria, however, would face a tough time trying to
pull off a serious uprising along the lines of those that toppled
leaders in Egypt and Tunisia. Assad's Syria is a country that
crushes political dissent, closely controls the media and routinely
jails critics of the regime.
Despite the political repression and rights abuses, Assad
remains popular among many in the Arab world, in particular,
because he is seen as one of the few Arab leaders willing to stand
up to Israel. It is also not clear how much support any uprising
would have within the country. A few earlier attempts to organize
protests through social networking sites fell flat.
The confrontations in Syria began Friday when security troops
fired at protesters in the city and killed five people.
Mazen Darwish, a prominent Syrian writer and activist who is in
contact with residents and witnesses in Daraa, said one person,
Raed al-Ekrad, was killed Sunday and two others suffered serious
gunshot wounds when police opened fire on demonstrators calling for
political freedoms and shouting anti-government slogans.
He said more than 200 people were treated for tear gas
inhalation at a nearby mosque that has been transformed into a
field hospital.
State-run television reported that "trouble makers" took
advantage of a peaceful demonstration and set fire to several
public buildings in the city. The official news agency, SANA,
reported that they also opened fire at security forces who did not
return fire. They said the incidents happened as a delegation sent
by Assad was paying condolences to the families of the dead.
State-run media did not say what public buildings were attacked,
but a witness in the city said they included the governorate
office, the ruling Baath Party office, the main court building and
the governor's house.
A witness in Daraa told The Associated Press by telephone that
protesters were angry about Friday's deaths and mass arrests that
followed. They demanded officials involved in the violence be
Other activists in the capital, Damascus, confirmed the reports
of police gunfire.
Neither the activists nor the Daraa witnesses would allow their
names to be used for fear of government retaliation. Syria keeps a
tight lid on information, particularly when it comes to security
Some reports said protesters tore down pictures of Assad, but
that could not be immediately confirmed.
Syria's government appeared to try to calm the situation later.
An official promised to free 70 people held after the deadly
protests Friday as well as the teenagers whose detention after
scrawling anti-government graffiti touched off the unrest. The
official said later that some of those arrested were released after
it was determined they were not involved.
The Syrian official said an investigative committee recommended
firing several government and security officials in Daraa, accusing
them of mishandling Friday's protests.
Syria's state-run news agency SANA said Deputy Foreign Minister
Faisal Mikdad and a Cabinet minister, Tamer al-Hajah, were in Daraa
to offer condolences on behalf of Assad to the families of those
It quoted Al-Hajah as saying that Assad ordered the adoption of
necessary measures to hold all of those responsible for Friday's
killings accountable.
The Damascus activists said thousands of people who took part in
Sunday's protests called for an end to emergency laws that have
been in place since the ruling Baath Party took power in 1963.
Syrian police sealed off Daraa after Friday's demonstrations,
allowing residents to leave the city but not to enter.
The National Organization for Human Rights said authorities
randomly arrested people who participated in Friday's protests in
at least five cities, including the coastal town of Banyas, Homs
and the capital.
Ammar Qurabi, who heads the rights group, said those arrested
were charged with writing anti-government slogans.
A Syrian official acknowledged only two deaths in Friday's
violence and said authorities would bring those responsible to
trial. The official said that even if an investigation shows
security officers were guilty, they will be put on trial "no
matter how high their rank is."
The violence was the worst since 2004 when clashes that began in
the northeastern city of Qamishli between Syrian Kurds and security
forces left at least 25 people dead and some 100 injured.

» There are multiple updates to this story. Please click here to get the latest information.


»Topics in this article

Top Videos

1 2 3 4

Most Popular