Dec 24, 2010 11:46 AM by Katie Durio
Baton Rouge LA: State Fire Marshal H. "Butch" Browning announced this morning, that a Slidell man has died in his home as the result of a smoldering fire that is believed to be accidental in nature.
On December 23, 2010, St. Tammany Parish Fire District #1 was dispatched to at 9:15 pm medical emergency at 4122 St. Louis Street. When first responders arrived they found the body of Charles Ordes II (dob. 8-4-1954) in the hallway of the residence. He was pronounced dead at the scene, preliminary results indicate that Ordes was overcome by toxic smoke from a slow burning fire in his bedroom. There were no working smoke alarms in the home at the time of the fire.
The State Fire Marshal's Office was called to assist the St. Tammany Parish Sheriff's Office and Fire District #1 in determining the cause of this fire. Investigators believe that the fire started in the master bedroom and the investigation has resulted in two possible causes. One is unattended smoking material and the other an electric space heater located in the room. Additional examinations will be preformed; however, at this time the fire appears to be accidental.
State Fire Marshal Browning reminds the public, "Smoke alarms save lives; you must take action now to ensure you family is safe in the event you have a fire in your home. We are saddened at this death to this man, from his home fire and will continue into the weekend to complete our investigation."
42 minutes ago