Jan 21, 2014 7:07 PM by MELISSA CANONE
Today at 3:28 p.m., Scott Fire Department responded to a grass fire in the 500 block of Rue De Babineaux, according to Fire Chief Chad Sonnier.
Sonnier said a large field caught fire and spread quickly as a result of tall dry grass and strong winds. The fire was extinguished within 25 feet of a home on Rue De Babineaux.
According to Sonnier, residents on that street were removing a pipe fence using a torch, when a spark ignited a small grass fire. The resident attempted to extinguish the fire, however was unsuccessful, then called 911. The fire was determined to be accidental.
Sonnier said the combination of dry conditions and windy conditions have led to a significant number of fires burning out of control, recently.
The State Fire Marshal's Office is recommending that citizens delay debris burning until the state has seen significant precipitation and even then, extra precaution should be taken during windy conditions.
"Our state has experienced an excessive number of out of control brush fires directly related to the intentional burning of trash and debris," said State Fire Marshal Butch Browning.
The State Fire Marshal's Office and Scott Fire Officials reminds everyone that fire spreading onto lands of another, be it through malice, or by criminal negligence, exposes those responsible to both civil and criminal penalties. Criminal laws concerning fire spreading on lands of another may be enforced by state or local law enforcement authorities.
No one was injured during the incident.
11 hours ago