Health

Apr 3, 2013 7:02 PM by Alex Labat

Protecting Your Pets From Poisoning

Petey and his owner Misty Comeaux are due for a checkup at the Lafayette Veterinary Care Center

We asked Comeaux if she would know what to do if her four-year-old Jack Russel mix ate something poisonous...she said, "The only thing that I would probably do would be to call the vet. That's all that I would know what to do."

Dr. Angie Sanders says there's some tell-tale signs your four-legged friend may be poisoned.

Dr. Sanders says, "The basic thing you should be looking for is anything out of the norm. Lack of appetite, maybe vomiting, diarrhea...so it is important that you are tracking when they do go outside or when they go in the litterbox."

The veterinarian says poisoned pets are common. She just recently treated a dog for rat poisoning. She says luckily it was an "older" form of poison, making symptoms easier to catch.

Dr. Sanders says poisoned pets are common. She just recently treated a dog for rat poisoning. She says luckily it was an "older" form of poison, making symptoms easier to catch.

"The newer Rodenticide, the rat poison that's being used, fortunately we haven't had any problems that we're aware of. But they are not noted even after a patients death for sure of what it is the remnants are so small," says Dr. Sanders.

The veterinarian says the best way to "treat" an animal is by treating it like a baby...locking up harmful chemicals and bringing them straight to the doctor.

"You need to seek help from your veterinarian, do not take it upon yourself to do anything," says Dr. Sanders.

»Comments

More News

Top Videos

1 2 3 4

Most Popular