_Continuous News

Jul 30, 2013 1:13 PM by AP(Photo Credit: WPBN/WTOM)

Peanut allergy suspected in teen summer camp death

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) - A 13-year-old girl with a peanut allergy died after taking a bite of a treat at a family summer camp in Sacramento, Calif.

The El Dorado County Sheriff's Office tells the Sacramento Bee that Natalie Giorgi died Saturday at Camp Sacramento after ingesting a Rice Krispies treat with peanuts, even after her parents administered multiple doses of medicine.

A family friend told the Bee that Giorgi spit out the treat right away after tasting peanuts.

She called her parents, who gave her a dose of Benadryl and monitored her.

Twenty minutes later she had trouble breathing. Her father, a doctor, administered an injection of epinephrine three times before she stopped breathing.

The sheriff's office cited laryngeal edema, or a swelling in the throat, as the cause of death.

»Comments

More News

Top Videos

1 2 3 4

Most Popular