May 7, 2014 8:01 PM by Dave Fields
Ten fallen law enforcement officers are being memorialized this evening at Lake Lawn Funeral Home in New Orleans. Among the enshrined is Opelousas Asst. Warden Peggy Lee Sylvester, who died in the line of duty on April 14 of last year.
This 13th Annual Memorial Service honoring Louisiana officers killed in the line of duty pays tribute to the dedicated officers who sacrificed their lives to protect and serve our state's communities. The program features remarks from various parish officials and a 21-gun salute for the enshrinees.
Deputy Sheriff Michael Brooks from the Ascension Parish Sheriff's Office and country music recording artist Derik Schumacher are providing memorable musical performances, including Shumacher's rendition of his hit single "In Memory Of".
Fallen officers, past and present, will be recognized. This year's honored enshrinees are:
In addition to all presently enshrined officers that we honor, the ten officers names being enshrined this year are:
· Sergeant Frederick Albert Riggenbach, Chitimacha Tribal Police, End of Watch: 1/26/2013
· Asst. Warden Peggy Lee Sylvester, Opelousas LA P.D., End of Watch: 4/14/2013
· Deputy Sheriff Steven George Netherland, Vernon Parish Sheriff's Office, End of Watch: 6/24/2013
· Police Officer II Rodney Renee Thomas, NOPD, End of Watch: 7/7/2013
· Deputy Sheriff Jeff Garrett Watson, St. Charles Parish Sheriff's Office, End of Watch: 8/4/2013
· Deputy Sheriff Eric J. Bellard, Calcasieu Parish Sheriff's Office, End of Watch: 9/1/2008
· Constable Hezekiah James Augustus Reeves, Pineville LA Correctional Office, End of Watch: 12/24/1901
· Patrolman John L. Hart, Shreveport LA P.D., End of Watch: 6/13/1875
· Deputy Sheriff William N. Wright, Caddo Parish Sheriff's Office, End of Watch: 10/6/1872
· Deputy Sheriff James W. Wood, Ouachita Parish Sheriff's Office, End of Watch: 3/12/1869