Mar 27, 2011 11:52 PM by Chris Welty

Major Fire Sends Two to Hospital Including a Fire Fighter

A major fire in Abbeville sent two people to the hospital including a firefighter, but not before he was able to make a dramatic rescue.

"There was so much smoke and flames" Justin Roy was on his way back home when he noticed smoke billowing over Robie Circle just after 3pm Sunday afternoon. He called 9-1-1 and soon realized it was his uncle's trailer on fire."It sparked off so fast and when I was going to open up the door to go in there with him, the flames had rushed past the door and it left me no way to get in."

"He was probably two or three feet underneath the trailer with one arm and his head sticking out." Jace Hebert with the Abbeville Fire Department was one of the first responders. Hebert had his breathing mask on and rushed over to start the rescue process.

"i grabbed him and i jerked him and when i jerked him the second time, i finally got him down."

While Hebert was underneath the trailer, his breathing mask was knocked off his face. "If I wouldn't of reacted quick, he probably would have burned, so I just decided to hurry and throw my air-pack on as best as I could and got in there and pulled him out."

Both he and fire victim Roland Campbell were transported to an area hospital for smoke inhalation. Hebert says there was only one thing running through his mind... "to save his life."

Justin Roy says "I would like to thank the Abbeville Fire Department and their crew."

"This is why I do my job. This is why I'm here and I plan on doing it for a very long time."



»Topics in this article

Top Videos

1 2 3 4

Most Popular