Aug 31, 2010 7:40 PM by Melissa Hawkes

Lafayette Police Officer on Leave

A Lafayette mother says she's still waiting for justice, but there's a new wrinkle in the investigation of her daughter's death. KATC has uncovered further details surrounding an Internal Affairs Investigation within the Lafayette Police Department. Major Glen Dartaz has been placed on administrative leave as a result.

Montie Martie's boyfriend William Phillips Jr. was arrested and charged with 2nd degree murder on June 11. Police say Martie was suffering from severe head trauma and died about four hours after she arrived at the hospital.

A new investigation was sparked on August 11. It centers around the officer who was on the scene the night of the crime.

Martie's mother, Gertie Martie, said "he admitted to the police that he held her mouth, so she couldn't cry out for help."

Martie said her daughter was better known as Quinn to those close to her. Quinn lived in a house right behind her mother's.

On June 11, Quinn had gotten into an argument with her live-in boyfriend, William Phillips Junior. Phillips allegedly beat her until she stopped breathing.

A neighbor, William Thomson, saw Phillips on the night of the murder--"He was walking this way, walking back and forth on the street," Thomson explained. "I didn't understand what was going on. I said well maybe they had another fight and he's just cooling off"

Martie says she didn't see Phillips until it was too late. She said, "the only time I saw him was when he came into the house to call the ambulance, which is so sad because he waited an hour to call.

"Family friend and neighbor, Jimmy Hurley, said "the next thing you know, the police are all here and they have the street cornered off."

Two months later, the Lafayette Chief of Police received information about an off-duty officer at the scene that night. Martie says she believes he was picking-up her neighbor at the same time Phillips was pacing outside, but the officer never stopped to help.

Martie said, "when Phillips asked him for help, he said I'm off duty, call the fire department or call the ambulance and then he left."

Thomson said, "maybe he was doing what I did. Just let everybody be, let them take care of themselves. "

Phillips is being held in the Lafayette Parish Jail on a $250,000 bond. As for the officer...Gertie Martie doesn't have bad feelings about him. She says he might not have realized what was really going on.



»Topics in this article

Top Videos

1 2 3 4

Most Popular