Jul 2, 2014 9:01 AM by Tracy Wirtz
The Lafayette Animal Shelter always sees a lot of cats, and summertime seems to be a busier time. There are several cats up for adoption right now. Many of them are adults. They are altered (meaning they can't reproduce) and are up to date on all their shots.
I often say cats are low-maintenance animals. I have one that is 17-year-old and he is my buddy! If you don't have a lot of time for a pet, but would love the companionship, consider adopting a cat. Check out the ones that are up for adoption right now by clicking here.
It is, of course, 4th of July weekend. Many dogs are very afraid of the loud noises of the fireworks. The volunteers have put together a list of helpful hints to keep your pooch feeling secure when he or she hears loud noise, whether it's created by fireworks or storms.
Storm anxiety and fireworks:
Call 291-5644 if you have any questions about any suggestions that are not listed below!
* Keep them inside.
* The THUNDERSHIRT available at Petco, Petsmart, or another pet supply store is a great option. It costs about $30.
* Try Comfort Zone Diffuser Collar with appeasement pheromones natural in females,
DAP COLLAR for dogs, FELIWAY for cats. This is also good for anxiety of being alone, new pet, moving, anxious barking.
* HomeoPet brand Anxiety Relief drops or TFLN natural drops. Petco, $10.
* Caninelullabies.com has soothing music you can download.
* Talk to your veterinarian who can prescribe antidepressants to use only at time of a storm or other anxiety episode.