Jan 16, 2012 12:03 AM by Chris Welty
A family of eight is lucky to be alive after flames destroyed their home.
The fire broke out Sunday morning at a home along Highway Ten in Washington. Literally everything this family owns is gone.
"I just felt like it was the end of time the way it seemed. I just had a big ball of fire coming in my face. All I could think about was my kids, getting them out," said Rufus Joseph.
Just after 2:30 Sunday morning the Joseph family home was fully engulfed. Investigators believe it was an electrical fire that started in the attic before quickly spreading to the rest of the house. The fire so sudden, it still doesn't seem real for the family.
"I just remembered after everything came still a little bit. Just remembered little pieces and how I kept counting to make sure I had all my kids with me," said Yvonne Joseph.
As the flames spread, the house became weaker and the roof caved in. Seven members of this family of eight were home and credit a weekend tradition for saving their lives; they all fell asleep in the same room after watching a movie.
Joseph says, "If the kids were in their own room, there was no way we could have gotten them out."
Even though everyone was together, smoke was so thick, it was hard to keep tabs on the kids ranging from 2 to 16 years old.
"He ran back into the room and i had to go back into the house to pull him out. he didn't know what was going on."
The family is all safe and together, but left only with the clothes on their back.
"we lost clothes, Christmas presents, toys that they had, my son's birthday was a couple of days ago."
The Red Cross did show up on scene to help the Joseph family.
If you would like to help the Joseph Family you can call (337)-945-2550.
2yr old boy - 3T
3yr old girl - 4T
6yr old boy - 5/6
9yr old girl - 10
14yr old girl - 13
16yr old girl - 1
Womens size - 14/15
Mens size - 40
The family is planning on opening an account for donations, but the banks are closed until Tuesday. We will post more information as soon as we receive it.