Jan 13, 2014 1:05 PM by MELISSA CANONE
Better Business Bureau of Acadiana is alerting residents to art-heist.com, a business that sells prints and framed prints over the internet.
BBB has received complaints from around the country claiming the company is either sending out prints late or not at all.
Consumers say their credit cards are being charged immediately and then have trouble making contact with the company to get a problem resolved or get a refund. Other customers say if they did get a print it was of low quality.
According to BBB files, the company has an F rating, the lowest possible.
Reasons for the rating include 83 complaints filed against the business with 55 complaints still pending and three complaints that were never resolved. The company also has advertising issues regarding "100% Satisfaction Guaranteed" and "Your full satisfaction is guaranteed" claims.
BBB Code of advertising states that when guarantees are used in advertised, clear and prominent disclosures should be made informing consumer of where the complete details can be seen. The website does disclose that "returns are permitted and must be initiated by the buyer within 30 days from delivery date" and that the company "cannot cover the costs of a returned shipment," but consumers are not directed to review the details of the offer where the guarantee is first mentioned.
The company never responded to the BBB advertising review.
The complete BBB Business review on this business can be found at:
BBB offers the following tips to avoid problems when ordering off the internet:
· Start with Trust®. Check out the business with BBB before doing business.
· Know the Website. Before ordering any merchandise, check the URL link to make sure it starts with "https://" (the ‘s' means it is secure). This tells shoppers that a website is secure. Make sure to confirm the address and phone number of the online business in case there are any issues contacting them.
· When buying a product, read the whole description including the fine print. It is important to understand the details of the product being purchased so there are no surprises when it's delivered. Check competitor prices to guarantee the lowest price. There are many online resources that allow the comparison of products and offer coupon codes to get a better deal.
· Read the return policy to see if the business allows a full refund if the customer is not happy with the product. Review the policy to see who pays for the cost of shipping and handling for the return.
· Choose the Correct Payment Method. Always pay with a credit card when shopping online. A purchase with a credit card is protected under the Fair Credit Billing Act. This allows customers to briefly hold payment while a problem is reviewed and resolved. This act also protects customers in the event that credit card information is stolen and used without permission.
· Make sure to print the receipts and product information of any online purchases to prevent incorrect charges.
· If there is a problem with a purchase or business, complaints can be filed with the Better Business Bureau to help resolve the issue. The Federal Trade Commission also handles complaints at www.ftc.gov/complaint.
Better Business Bureau works for a trustworthy marketplace by maintaining standards for truthful advertising, investigating and exposing fraud against consumers and businesses. For more than 100 years, BBB has helped consumers make smarter buying decisions and is evolving to meet fast-changing marketplace needs.
BBB of Acadiana services the parishes of Acadia, Evangeline, Iberia, Lafayette, St. Martin, St. Landry and Vermilion.
5 hours ago